Friday, October 4, 2013

Five for Friday {10-4}

I'm linking up with Doodle Bugs Teaching for Five for Friday.  Here are my thoughts for this week:

[fiveforfriday2_thumb35.jpg]

1.  I started working with some of my kids on learning a Concept of Word.  We began by using the poem Five Little Ducks.  I teach the students the poem orally until they can memorize it and say it orally.  Then I give each of them a copy of the poem to point as they read.  This was challenging for 1 of my reading groups and easy for the other.  My  highest reading group already knows how to read and my lowest group still cannot retain information about their letter id and sounds so COW is way above their grasp.  Here are some pictures of my little ones pointing while we read.  By the end of the week, they really got a hang of it.




2.  I attempted to start Literacy Stations this week.  After reading several posts, I came up with the idea of have the kids go to 2 stations a day, me, and the computer.  This puts a little quirk in things because I only have 5 computers in my room. I do have a BrightLinks but it runs off of one of the 5 computers so it cannot be a station of itself for reading if 5 others are on the computer.  For the most part, my kids get it and seem to enjoy each station.  They can't wait to get to the art station (haha)!  I'd love to hear some ideas of how to do Literacy Stations (from Debbie Diller) and are able to meet with your small guided reading groups.  Feel free to leave a comment or email me!





3.  Today was a catch up day.  We reviewed our five senses with several activities.  Here is one of them.



4.  Here is my highest reading group.  They read a decodable story this week about pets.  We read it, re-read it, sequenced it orally, sequenced it with word cards, and wrote about it.  Here is our writing practice:


5.  And finally, here are pictures of our math stations from this week.  We talked more about describing shapes and made a big book.  I'll try to post about that next week!!










Thanks for visiting!  I hope you have a fabulous and relaxing weekend!  Check back tomorrow and Sunday for some more about what's been happening in my classroom!!  

Happy Weekend Resting!!


post signature

1 comment :

  1. It looks like your classroom has been busy this week! What wonderful things happening in your room!The pictures are great and I enjoyed "stepping into your classroom."

    Elizabeth
    Seconds at the Beach

    ReplyDelete

Christin
Shifting Teacher K-2