Sunday, October 1, 2017

Why Innovate? #IMMOOC

So I started this blog in 2013 so that I could share my ideas about teaching and what I was doing in my classroom.  I also wanted to connect with other teachers around the globe.  Little did I know how much change would happen in just 4 years!  We have added another child to our family, a son who just turned one, and I have totally changed as a teacher.
I'm going to use this blog to share my thoughts about innovation in teaching during a study of George Couros's book Innovator's Mindset!  I hope you will enjoy this ride with me! 

My teaching has evolved over the years due to my amazing principal who has encouraged me (and all of us) to step outside of our comfort zone and do everything for the kids in our classroom.  She has asked us to fail forward - take risks, see if they work and make adjustments where needed.  My principal has "allowed me" to explain my thoughts and why I think these are the best ideas, lessons and teaching practices for my students.  For all of that, I am so thankful!  I also had a new team member join me last year who has a huge passion for technology, innovation and relevance.  We would discuss our plans together to brainstorm ideas of how we can make everything we do about our students and how they will gain knowledge and apply it in their adult life.  I am so thankful that this teacher joined my team and we continue to work together for the good of the kids!

For me, #innovation is important in my classroom because I have seen students learn to take a test and answer questions but have no idea what the content really means or how to be a critical thinker or how to even solve a problem without asking for help from a friend or adult.  I want to see my students grow to be the next (or even better) Steve Jobs or Mark Zuckerberg.  In kindergarten, it is easier to encourage students to just create - not even thinking about rules or others' ideas.  #Innovation is about creating or developing something new or different, something that has never been done before.  

If you have read this far, thank you!  I am excited to go on this journey with all of the other educators out there to discover how and why innovation is important!  You can follow along on Twitter with the hashtag #IMMOCC!  I'd love to hear how or why you innovate in your classroom!  Leave your ideas in the comments or questions below!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Christin
Shifting Teacher K-2